“Being healthy is about two things: it’s about fixing things when they go wrong, but it’s also about trying to make sure they don’t go wrong in the first place.”
I came across this quote somewhere, and that got me thinking [Ya, I know, sometimes I think too much ]
I asked myself what does ‘being healthy’ mean to me –
- is it a lack of annoying physical symptoms
- is it not having with any chronic ‘dis-ease’
- is it not catching the flu, cold, cough, fever (acute illnesses) easily
- is it not being in pain
- is it ‘preventing illness’
- is it popping tons of supplements, vitamins, going around wearing a mask over my mouth and nose, denying myself any so-called unhealthy foods, all the time worrying that I would fall sick
- is it about being healthy on all levels- emotional, mental, spiritual, physical
- is it about waking up full of energy looking forward to the day ahead
- living each day at my best, not just in earning my living but making a contribution to others
- feeling emotionally centred
- feeling mentally alert and agile, and
- physically strong and able to accomplish all the things I want to do each day
I decided that a lack of disease or symptoms is not the meaning of health. For me, Health means Life itself. Our ancestors were right when they said “Health is the Real Wealth”.
Feeling happy, confident, calm, looking forward to each day, enjoying and loving what I am doing, having relationships where true mutual respect and love is present, being in the moment not hung up on the past not worried about the future, and so on…….
So, I have just raised the bar for myself.
How about you? How are going to define what ‘being healthy’ means to you?
Think about it.